Monday, September 19, 2011

From a What-ever-tarian Diet to a Freshetarian Way of Living

I grew up in beef country. It was meat and potatoes at just about every meal. Up until recently, when my wife prepared dinner, I would often ask, "So, where's the beef, honey?"

Then, on Friday night dates, when we were choosing a restaurant , I would respond, "Oh, WHATEVER is fine with me." That included everything from cheese-laden lasagnas, to heavy Alfredo dishes, to fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy.

In other words, I used to be on a "What-ever-tarian" Diet.

But I am happy to announce that I have changed how I eat, how I think about food, and how I feel after every meal. I am now a Freshetarian.

A FRESHETARIAN is someone who:
  • Eats mostly fresh, natural foods made by nature.
  • Enjoys eating lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds.
  • Can't remember how to use a can opener.
  • Wouldn't really notice if their microwave was missing.
  • Eats fresh, lean meats sparingly, or on special occasions.
  • Can't remember the last time they ate anything "fried."
  • Runs away from packaged food made in a "factory."
  • Actually reads nutritional labels.
  • Is or wants to be at a normal, healthy weight (BMI of 18-24.9).
  • Exercises regularly in fresh air and in moderation.
  • Avoids stimulants, such as alcohol, tobacco, coffee, tea, and especially energy drinks!
  • Is not extreme in any way, but believes in "moderation in all things."
Now I organize my diet into three distinct camps. I say "camps" because I'm not stuck in one place or another. I can pick up and move (figuratively speaking), just like I would move physically from one place of residence to another.

This is where I LIVE:
  • Raw fruits and leafy vegetables
  • Raw nuts and seeds,
  • Slightly cooked, non-starchy vegetables
  • Dried or preserved fruits
  • Whole grains and legumes
  • Olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and honey.
This is where I VISIT:
  • Fresh, lean white meats
  • Plain yogurt
  • Skim milk
  • Fresh cheese (not aged)
  • Farm-raised eggs
These are the places I AVOID VISITING:
  • Beef, pork, lamb
  • Anything fried
  • Refined foods and pasta
  • Frozen or packaged meats
  • Foods made in a factory (chips, etc).
  • Any and all fast foods.
The bottom line is this: I'm done being a What-ever-tarian. I'm also fed up with the VEGAN movement and with any and all "extreme diets" being promoted out there.

I prefer "natural." I prefer "fresh." I prefer "moderation" in all things.  Here is what one of my typical dishes looks like:


This FRESHETARIAN SALAD includes: red leaf lettuce, baby spinach, garden tomatoes, black olives, raw nuts and seeds, queso fresco (fresh cheese), raisins, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tspn of apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of sea salt.

So, tell me about your experience with the three food camps mentioned above. Also, I could use your help in starting this Freshetarian Movement. 

Want to be part of something NEW? Post your comments here or email me at freshetarian24.9@gmail.com.

Coming soon:  FRESHETARIAN.org.  Feel Better.  Live Longer.

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to eat like a Freshetarian and I am happy to report that I am feeling 25 again! Nutrition really does make a monumental difference! And I have heard reports that eating less is the key to longevity, so I'm all for that. Who needs cake when I can have fresh fruit? Great job, HealthyGuy22.0! Love it!

    ReplyDelete